One of the coolest things about Cincinnati’s history is its relationship with the underground railroad. A city in a northern state bordering the south, the Queen City was home to lots of structures that were used to help secretly guide slaves into freedom; this Ohio Township home is one such place.
The property, named Penmaen (Welsh, apparently, for “the brow of the hill,” which describes where it’s situated), was built in 1832 by Thomas Donaldson—a Wales native who immigrated here with his family when he was 15—and his second wife, Susanna Everts Parker. The pair had seven children and were staunch teetotalers and active abolitionists. A merchant and farmer, Donaldson was an early proponent of selling only free labor goods, a strong supporter of his local anti-slavery newspaper and a host to other abolitionists as they worked to move slaves across the state border into free territory.