Did you know that the most famous chocolate covered cream egg in the world (or at least, this part of the world) is made in Covington? Family owned and operated by the third generation, Papas Candies has been making cream filled Easter eggs for 86 years. Fun facts:
- The company began in 1935 as Lilly’s Candy Shop at Madison and Ninth in Covington, making all the eggs by hand.
- Papas Candies moved to their current location on Baker Street in 1957. The eggs are made by machine, some of it designed by Chris A. Papas’s father, Alex.
- As many as 80,000 eggs are made daily, with production lasting through just days before Easter.
- While the Opera Cream egg is still the biggest selling flavor, Vanilla Cream, Coconut, Cherry Cream (a whole candied cherry swaddled in sweet cream), Mint Cream, Maple Nut, Peanut Butter, French Cream (Chocolate), and Pineapple Cream are some of the most popular of the dozen flavors.
- Since 1967, Papas Candies have also owned and manufactured Putnam’s World Famous Opera Creams, a wickedly rich candy containing just five ingredients: sweet cream, sugar, salt, chocolate and invertase (an enzyme derived from yeast).