Photo: Shutterstock, Copyright: Doug Lemke
If you want to stake a blanket claim along Sawyer Point’s Serpentine Wall for Western & Southern/WEBN’s annual Labor Day Fireworks show, the park opens at 6 a.m. Saturday. We wish you Godspeed and good weather. If that’s not your jam (and you’ve got the dosh to spend) try one of these upgraded viewing experiences:
1. Tables on the upper decks of the Mt. Adams Pavilion can be reserved for groups of 4-5 people ($50/person on the 3rd floor; $30/person on the 2nd floor) but you’d better claim yours by 7 p.m. or risk losing it to another group. Feeling less flush? General admission to the first and second floor is $10/person, first come first serve. mountadamspavillion.com
2. AquaFest at Newport Aquarium includes catered food stations by Elegant Fare, access to the aquarium’s exhibits prior to fireworks (including a penguin encounter!), alcoholic beverages at a discounted price, DJ, and a completely unobstructed view of fireworks from the aquarium’s riverside plaza $119. For adults 21 and over, reservations required, tickets are limited; newportaquarium.com
3. Montgomery Inn Boathouse hosts Rockin’ Ribs at Riverfest, a fundraiser benefiting a The Children’s Home of Cincinnati. Local 12’s Bob Herzog Emcees the event, which includes free parking, open bar, and ribs galore, as well as a live and silent auction. Tickets $175. thechildrenshomecinti.org
4. The Cincinnati Dinner Train departs from the Cincinnati Gardens area and rolls out to the riverfront and back. A four-top table in one of their three dining cars will cost you $115 and includes a four-course meal (beer, wine, and mixed drinks are available for purchase from the full-service bar car). You can also travel coach class for $60 a seat and bring your own food on board. cincinnatirailway.com
5. Queen City Riverboats (queencityriverboats.com) offers two excursions: A dinner cruise ($99 per person + cash bar) or the cruise only for $59 per person (hot dogs and hamburgers available for purchase with a cash bar.) BB Riverboats’ (bbriverboats.com) dinner cruise with cash bar is $140 and Celebrations Riverboats (celebrationriverboats.com) serves up a buffet dinner, DJ, and open bar for $175.