Everyone loves Halloween candy — well, minus your teeth.
Luckily, there are healthier options you can pass out to trick-or-treaters this fall. And the best part is, the kids will still enjoy them!
Before we introduce the dental-friendly treats, let’s take a look at a few items you may want to skip at the store. These candies interact with your teeth for longer periods of time, leaving them vulnerable to decay.
Halloween Treats That Will Spook Your Dentist
- Lollipops – Hard, sugary candy pressed against your teeth for all that time is a recipe for cavities.
- Bubble gum – If you must, go with sugar-free (but see our note below!
- Caramel – You might as well plaster a lump of sugar to your tooth!
- Gummies (especially the sour kind) – The candy’s acidity wears down your enamel.
Fear not, though! Here are some teeth-friendly treats that you can choose instead.
Great Alternatives for the Candy Bowl
- Chocolate – Chocolate tends to off your teeth more quickly than gummy candies. Plus, dark chocolate has antioxidants and fiber!
- Individually-wrapped snacks – Think crackers, pretzels, even pureed fruit pouches. You can usually find these in bulk. If you don’t get too many trick-or-treaters this year, at least you’ll have some snacks stocked up!
- Gums, candies, and lollipops made with sugar-alternatives (not artificial sweeteners) – Glee Gum, treats made with stevia, and Zollipops are just a few we found.
- Mini bottles of water – Trick-or-treaters and their parents will thank you for providing hydration for their adventures!
- Dollar store trinkets (not quite edible but still a treat!) – Spooky spider rings, mini Slinkies, bouncy balls. Kids will get excited when they take a “prize” that stands out from all the other items.
There you have it: An easy way to make this Halloween a little less cavity-inducing. Enjoy!
This year, consider Hayden Family Dental for your teeth-cleaning needs.