Cincinnati Magazine is the definitive guide to living well in Greater Cincinnati, connecting sophisticated, educated readers with the region’s most interesting people, cultural issues, food, arts, fashion, and history via print, digital, and events. Our brand expands beyond the monthly magazine, making us the ultimate guide to Cincinnati (Baby Guide, Wedding Magazine, etc.) As a leader in the local publishing industry, serving a multitude of clients and producing a variety of books, programs, and magazines for local businesses.
The JUNIOR DESIGNER is responsible for a range of advertising and marketing department layout and design duties. The Junior Designer will produce pages of the custom publications—conceptualizing and sourcing quality art within appropriate branding styles, flowing text, and seeing pages through to completion. This includes creative produced for Cincinnati Magazine clients and in-house brands.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Multi-tasking within multiple deadlines: designer will be working on multiple books with varying deadlines at a time
• High quality ad conceptualization, layout, and production of all monthly and custom client ads, in-house advertising, and promotional advertising for the magazine
• Support the ad sales, marketing, and digital teams through creation of one-sheets and ads by established deadlines
• Create sketches and/or spec ads as needed.
• Collect production materials and process creative artwork through each publication’s proof/approval process.
• Responsible for filing and tracking all client ad materials
• Design and create art within various branding styles
• Working with custom publications, flowing in text, routing to editors efficiently, and getting approval from clients
• Source pick-up art and stock art
• Concept comprehensive creative briefs for art and direct photographers/illustrators to produce high quality work
• Thinking creatively to produce new ideas
• Working well in a team with other art directors, photographers, illustrators, editors, account executives, and marketing representatives
• Using a wide range of media, including photography and computer-aided design
• Other duties, as assigned
• VERY STRONG ability to multi-task, juggling a lot of projects at once while maintaining a good eye for details and still meet necessary deadlines
• Self-motivated, independent worker capable of executing project guidelines without continuous oversight
• Highly proficient with InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. And not just knowing how to use each, but when to use each.
• Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Strong communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• A positive attitude and flexibility
• Thrives in a team atmosphere and enjoys collaborating
• An impressive portfolio that shows off design skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in advertising, communication design or visual arts, or equivalent experience preferred. Please note this is an entry level position.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, we encourage you to apply through submitting a cover letter, resume, and portfolio (or portfolio link) to Design Director Brittany Dexter. No phone calls please.