Cincinnati Magazine is a monthly city magazine with a circulation of more than 30,000 that focuses on service, city and regional issues, and lifestyles for an upscale readership.
The JUNIOR DESIGNER is responsible for a range of advertising and marketing department layout and design duties. Designer will produce pages of the custom publications—concepting and sourcing quality art within appropriate branding styles, flowing text, and seeing pages through to completion. This includes creative produced for Cincinnati Magazine clients and in-house brands.
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATE: We have temporarily transitioned to a remote work model during this time, and this role is expected to begin as a remote position. We appreciate these are unprecedented times and will work closely with you, taking into account your individual circumstances.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Multi-tasking within multiple deadlines: designer will be working on multiple books with varying deadlines at a time
• High quality ad conceptualization, layout, and production of all monthly and custom client ads, in-house advertising, and promotional advertising for the magazine and events
• Support the ad sales, marketing, and digital teams through creation of one-sheets and ads by established deadlines
• Collect production materials and process creative artwork through each publication’s proof/approval process.
• Responsible for filing and tracking client ad materials through each publication’s proof/approval process.
• Design and create art within various branding styles
• Working with custom publications, flowing in text, routing to editors efficiently, and getting approval from clients
• Source pick-up art and stock art
• Concept comprehensive creative briefs for art and direct photographers/illustrators to produce high quality work
• Thinking creatively to produce new ideas
• Working well in a team with other art directors, photographers, illustrators, editors, account executives, and marketing representatives
• Other duties, as assigned
• Strong ability to multi-task, juggling multiple projects at once while maintaining a good eye for details and still meeting necessary deadlines
• Self-motivated, independent worker capable of executing project guidelines without continuous oversight
• Highly proficient with InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. And not just knowing how to use each, but when to use each.
• Comfortable in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Strong communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• A positive attitude and flexibility
• Thrives in a team atmosphere and enjoys collaborating
• An impressive portfolio that shows off design skills.
• Bachelor’s degree in advertising, communication design or visual arts, or equivalent experience
College degree in Graphic Design or comparable. Plus 1–2 years of relevant experience.
The preferred method to apply is to submit a cover letter, resume, and portfolio samples (.pdf or website link) to the Design Director, Brittany Dexter.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. File attachments must be 8mb or under.