What do a German brunch, Robert Redford, and the Cincinnati Zoo have in common? Not much, except for the fact that they are all happening this week, offering a great opportunity to show mom just how great she really is.
1. The Great Gatsby at Mariemont TheatreMoms love Robert Redford. Mariemont Theatre features a special, one-night-only screening of the 1974 Great Gatsby. And for those really looking to jump into the story line, neighboring restaurant The Quarter Bistro will be serving a “Southern style Gatsby-themed dinner” before the show. If you can’t make it to the classic screening, come the next night for Mariemont’s opening of Baz Lurhmann’s much-hyped film. Reservations required for dinner; May 8, 7:30 p.m., 6906 Wooster Pike, Cincinnati, (513) 272-2002, mariemonttheatre.com/events.asp
2. Mother’s Day Brunch at SteinhausBrunch is the requisite Mother’s Day activity, but shake it up a bit with an over-the-top German smorgasbord at Steinhaus. The Rhineland-style restaurant offers a “Taste of Germany” brunch that includes a prime rib carving station, a fruit and dessert bar, endless pancakes, and other breakfast favorites like German eggs benedict. May 12, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., reservations recommended; adults $21.99, Children (under 10) $8.99; 6415 Dixie Highway, Florence, (859) 371-3000, steinhausrestaurant.com
3. Cincinnati Zoo On Mother’s Day, the ladies of honor receive free admission to the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden. And conveniently, May is also the month of “Zoo Babies.” Adults $15, Children $10 3400 Vine St., Avondale, (513) 961-1870, cincinnatizoo.org
4. Krohn Conservatory Butterfly ShowEden Park’s Krohn Conservatory hosts the Butterflies of Morocco exhibit through the month of May, and mothers will receive free admission on Mother’s Day. While you’re there, look for a special Moroccan market, with local vendors and artists selling their wares. 1501 Eden Park Dr., Eden Park, (513) 421-5707, cincinnatiparks.com/krohn
5. BB Riverboats Mother’s Day CruiseTake mom on a scenic riverboat cruise along the banks of the Ohio and enjoy either an afternoon brunch or twilight dinner. The brunch cruise is from 1-3 p.m. and the dinner cruise from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Food and scenic overviews of the Ohio riverside will offer a Mother’s Day to remember. Reservations are required, 101 Riverboat Row, Newport, (859) 261-8500, bbriverboats.com/mothers_day_cruise.html
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive