From free admission days to some last-chance exhibit dates, this week happens to be a great time to visit one (or many) of Cincinnati’s remarkable museums.
1. Underground Railroad Freedom CenterDo you have the day off work on Monday? If so, use the chance to visit the Underground Railroad Freedom Center, which is free on January 21 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. In addition to the Center’s amazing permanent exhibits, you’ll also see Civil War encampment and Cotton Gin displays, live interpreters, and the special exhibit Women Hold Up Half the Sky. freedomcenter.org
2. Contemporary Arts CenterKnow what museum is also free on Mondays? The Contemporary Arts Center. There’s just one caveat: You have to wait until after 5 pm to get the deal. But you’ll be at the Underground Railroad Freedom Center all afternoon anyway, right? Grab lunch at The Banks and then hoof it up to the CAC. On exhibit is Image Machine: Andy Warhol and Photography. contemporaryartscenter.org
3. Cincinnati Museum Center at Union TerminalAre you planning to see the Dead Sea Scrolls, but are putting it off because the show runs through April? Well actually, your last chance to see the first rotation of 10 scrolls is January 23. So if you want to take in the entire exhibit before it’s all over, get on over there this week. cincymuseum.org
4. Taft Museum of ArtThe Taft’s stunning show Star Power: Edward Steichen’s Glamour Photography, features the iconic images created by 1930s-era Condé Nast photographer Edward Steichen. The huge exhibit contains some of the most beautiful black-and-whites we’ve ever seen, and will close up shop on January 27. taftmuseum.org
5. Betts HouseFor a museum experience on a much smaller scale, visit The Betts House. The pint-sized building, constructed in 1804, is Ohio’s oldest brick house still on its original site and the oldest home in downtown Cincinnati. What was once the hub of a working farm is now home to permanent and temporary exhibits about the built environment. Check out Jens Rosenkrantz’s show Forward Into the Past, which features old maps, transferred photos, and salvaged windows to suggest a unique view of Cincinnati. thebettshouse.org
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive