There is nothing better than a refreshing dip in the water to escape the hot summer temperatures—and it’s even better when you’re flying down a water slide. Even without longtime staple The Beach (which closed this winter), there are still some great places to cool down this summer.
1. Soak City Waterpark at King’s IslandKing’s Island has become the preeminent water theme park in the region. With more than 30 water slides, tidal pools, lazy rivers, and surf-able waves, the park offers something for everyone. This year, KI added a second wave pool with more than 650,000 gallons of water, a lazy river that features less lazy water cannons and rapids, and sand volleyball courts—in addition to creating three times as much space to relax. Come for the rides, and stay for the water! visitkingsisland.com
2. Sunlite Pool at Coney IslandMeasuring 200 feet wide and 400 feet long, Coney Island’s Sunlite Pool is the largest flat-surface pool in North America. It may be old-—built in 1925—but it is still just as fun. Four different water slides, six diving boards, and more than an acre of shallow water combine to create excitement for the whole family. There’s nothing else like it in the area. coneyislandpark.com
3. Hamilton County ParksThere’s no need to avoid parks on the hottest of days. Winton Woods, Miami Whitewater Forest, and Woodland Mound all feature themed wet playgrounds. Play with the animals in Parky’s Ark, act as a pirate at Parky’s Pirate Cove, or explore our local environment in Parky’s Wetland Adventure. greatparks.org
4. Florence Family Aquatic CenterFlorence’s Aquatic Center features a lazy river, competition lap pool, two “spray grounds,” and two slides (one spiral and one speed)—this is more than your typical neighborhood pool. For an additional charge, sign up for swimming, diving, and even scuba lessons. florence-ky.gov/florence-family-aquatic-center
5. Canoe the Little Miami RiverWe may not live near an ocean, but there are still places to enjoy our natural water. One of the best is the Little Miami River. Take the family out for a leisurely trip down the river, or try a more strenuous full-day adventure. There are many different boating companies, but two longtime favorites are Morgan’s Livery (morganscanoe.com/index.cfm) and Little Miami (littlemiamicanoe.com), both in Morrow.
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive