It’s hard to avoid the civic pride this week. See a festive steel drum show at our local music conservatory, check out the much-anticipated new riverfront park, or settle in for a summery night in OTR. Plus: Taft Museum puts on its French hat and Colin Hay visits Oakley.
1. CCM Steel Drum Band You don’t need to be on vacation to enjoy a darn fine steel drum band. The University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music Steel Drum Band takes to the stage for their annual show with a cheery program of traditional Trinidadian music. May 19 at the Patricia Corbett Theater, ccm.uc.edu
2. The Grand Opening of John G. & Phyllis W. Smale Riverfront ParkDowntown Cincinnati just got a new front yard. The Smale Riverfront Park will finally celebrate the opening of its Phase I amenities: The Jacob G. Schmidlapp Stage & Event Lawn, The Walnut Street Fountains & Steps, The Bike, Mobility and Visitor's Center, The Smale Tree Grove, and a few other fine civic features. Don’t miss the free concert and firework show from the folks at Rozzi’s. May 18, mysmaleriverfrontpark.org/grand_opening.htm
3. Old Masters to ImpressionistsOld Masters to Impressionists: Three Centuries of French Painting from the Wadsworth Atheneum features works borrowed from America’s oldest public art museum, founded in 1842. The paintings, which date from late medieval times through the 20th century, represent a who’s who of fine French art. May 18–Sept 16 at Taft Museum of Art, taftmuseum.org
4. Colin HayWhether you were a “Land Down Under” fanatic or more of an “Overkill” enthusiast, you’ll have an ’80s-tastic good time seeing this Men At Work frontman in concert. May 17 at The 20th Century Theater, the20thcenturytheatre.com
5. OTR Summer CelebrationThe main event of this annual party is a 5K Run & Walk, but if lazy promenades and local tasties are more your style, come down to Vine Street at around 5 pm. Food vendors, artists, and musicians will be set up along the closed street for the block party of the summer. May 19 on Vine Street, gootr.org
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive