From the wonders of a ruined city, to a beloved Broadway show, to the roar of many singing voices, this week’s events operate on a grand scale (with a couple more quiet nights thrown in for good measure).
1. A Day in PompeiiThrough everyday objects and artwork pulled from the world’s most famous excavation site, glimpse the daily life—and catastrophic end—of an ancient people. The museum saves its most haunting artifacts for last: a group of plaster body casts representing actual people who died in the doomed city of Pompeii. cincymuseum.org/pompeii
2. Reverse Psychology: Katherine Michael and David RizzoThis exhibit fits Thunder-Sky’s offbeat approach to art. Rizzo’s work is trippy and abstract; Michael’s is cheeky and folk-inspired. Together they generate “flaky, spirited diversions.” Thru June 16 at Thunder-Sky, Inc., (513) 823-8914
3. 2012 Cincinnati May FestivalSpanning two weekends each May, the Cincinnati May Festival brings the city into full classical music mode. The 2012 festival kicks off on May 11 with an Opening Night program featuring Orff’s powerful Carmina Burana, performed by the many voices of the May Festival Chorus, the May Festival Youth Chorus, and the Cincinnati Boychoir. May 11–13, 18–19 at Music Hall, mayfestival.com
4. Les MisérablesThink you’ve seen all this legendary show has to offer? Try all new staging and redesigned scenery (inspired by the paintings of one Victor Hugo) created to celebrate the production’s 25th year. Don’t fret—the music is as spectacular as you remember. May 8 - 13 at Aronoff Center for the Arts, www.cincinnatiarts.org
5. St. Vincent One-woman band St. Vincent—fronted by the fair-faced, dark-haired, silky-voiced Annie Clark—brings complex crooning and energetic electric guitar compositions to the Bogart’s stage. May 9 at Bogart’s, bogarts.com
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive