New year, new shows! Make plans to check out a 2014 performance at some of our favorite must-visit venues.
1. Playhouse in the ParkThis Tony-Award-winning theatre company in Mt. Adams has been around for more than 50 years and boasts two theater spaces in addition to “Off the Hill” traveling performances. The diversity of this season—plays range from the classic Pride and Prejudice to the modern Clybourne Park to the zany The Complete History of Comedy (Abridged)—guarantee an option for everyone. 962 Mt. Adams Circle, Mt. Adams, (513) 421-3888, cincyplay.com
2. Aronoff CenterComing soon to this flashy downtown theater: the musical The Book of Mormon, winner of nine Tony Awards, and Wicked, the beloved Grammy-winner. Plus, the Aronoff stands within sight of Nicholson’s, Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse, Nada, and Metropole. We say one-up that old dinner-and-a-movie and go see a real performance (nothing against Anchorman 2). 650 Walnut St., downtown, (513)- 621-2787, cincinnatiarts.org
3. Cincinnati Shakespeare CompanyTo see, or not to see? That is the question you’ll be asking as you peruse CSC’s classic offerings. This season’s lineup includes both Shakespeare (Hamlet, Twelfth Night) and non-Shakespeare (Of Mice and Men, The Crucible, Oliver Twist). 719 Race St., downtown, (513) 381-2273, cincyshakes.com
4. School for Creative and Performing ArtsYoung prodigies put on a show that is nothing like the middle school production of Peter Pan you were in. The K-12 students at SCPA have serious talent, and it’s worth paying to see their renditions of The Good Doctor, Giselle, and A Christmas Carol. 108 W. Central Pkwy., downtown, (513) 363-8000, scpak12.org
5. Carnegie CenterYou’ll find a combination of orchestra and symphony performances and theater here; some of this year’s offerings include classics such as Chicago and The Sound of Music. As the largest multidisciplinary arts venue in Northern Kentucky, the Carnegie now houses an exhibition gallery and auditorium in addition to the 110-year-old original building. 1028 Scott Blvd., Covington, (859) 491-2030, thecarnegie.com
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive