We found five fun takes on classic cold-weather snacks.
1. Hot ChocolateIt’s a drink that evokes fond childhood memories: whether you spent the day sledding, ice skating, or making snowmen, you could count on warming up afterward with that hot cup ’o chocolate. You don’t have to be a kid, however, to enjoy Dojo Gelato’s Italian Drinking Chocolate, a thick, full-bodied, densely chocolate-y cocoa made European-style with steamed milk. It’s a bit like drinking chocolate syrup. In a good way. Dojo Gelato, 137 Elder St., downtown, (513) 328-9000, http://www.dojogelato.com/
2. GingerbreadIf you’re like most, you’ve probably only used gingerbread for making gingerbread houses. These, as you may know, eventually become disgusting. A gingerbread cake pop from Cupcake Crazy, the family-run Kenwood bakery, will easily convince you that there are much, much better things to make with the stuff. Cupcake Crazy, 7468 Montgomery Rd. Suite B, Montgomery, (513) 984-1100, cupcakecrazyincincinnati.com
3. ShortbreadThere’s shortbread, and then there’s the richly buttery, pistachio-and-dried-cherries-shortbread from award-winning bakery The BonBonerie. Enough said. The BonBonerie, 2030 Madison Rd., Oakley, (513) 321-3399, bonbonerie.com
4. SchneckenTraditional schnecken, a longtime Cincinnati favorite, gets a makeover at Queen City Cookies. There, the handmade German sticky buns come in a range of unique flavors like Pumpkin Marshmallow Crème, Apple Bourbon Pecan, and Chocolate Bacon. Your toughest decision all day will be choosing. Queen City Cookies, 1662 Blue Rock St., Northside, (513) 591-0022, queencitycookies.com
5. Peppermint Chocolate Chip CookiesThis seasonal spin on the ubiquitous chocolate chip cookie has just enough candy cane pieces to make it cool and wintry. Handmade from scratch with only the best high-quality chocolate, these delectable treats come in both white chocolate and dark chocolate flavors. Good luck keeping the cookie jar stocked. Jenny’s Homemade Cookies, (513) 941-1186, jennyshomemadecookies.com
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive