Take a day and get away: We’ve compiled some of our favorite winter mini-breaks.
1. Shopping in Nashville, IndianaA small abundance of quaint shops and bakeries makes for a fun stroll around this Mayberry-esque town. Some must-sees: Bone Appetit Bakery for dogs (if you’ve got a pooch to pamper), nifty socks galore at For Bare Feet, and the best homemade fudge at Schwab’s. Nashville is also home to J.B. Goods, the retailer that makes “Life is good” products. 10 North Van Buren St., Nashville, (800) 753-3255, browncounty.com
2. Perfect North SlopesYou don’t have to be a pro to shred the slopes at Perfect North. They offer free ski or snowboard lessons for beginners and have several snow bunny-friendly hills. Of course, if you’re an ace, the main “Center Stage” slope begs to be tackled. 19074 Perfect Lane, Lawrenceburg, Ind., (812) 537-3754, perfectnorth.com
3. Conner Prairie Interactive History ParkKids and history buffs alike will enjoy Conner Prairie’s multiple true-to-life replicas of 19th century towns, replete with functioning blacksmiths, potters, candle makers, and schoolhouses. Employees dressed in full historical garb make the experience especially vivid by never breaking character. 13400 Allisonville Rd., Fishers, Ind. (317) 776-6006, connerprairie.org
4. Kalahari Indoor WaterparkWho says you can’t boogie-board in Ohio in the winter? Spend a day at the largest indoor waterpark in the U.S. (and ride the waves on the FlowRider) and you’ll forget you’re not in a warm, sunny clime. 7000 Kalahari Dr., (877) 525-2427, kalahariresorts.com/ohio
5. Hocking Valley Scenic RailwayThis narrated ride through the valley between Nelsonville and Logan is perfect for the train and/or local history geek in your life. Trips run on diesel trains from the 1950s and 1970s in coaches that date to as early as 1917. From Dec 14–22, take the special Santa Train, a 40-year Hocking River Valley tradition that lets Santa himself host the journey and personally visit each child along the way. hvsry.org
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive