Newborn babies are basically half-baked little crazy people. They’re not ready to join the world yet, and they’re freaking out about it. The answer? Distract and restrain. Start with these five tools:
1. Cloud B Sleep SheepCrank. It. Up. And may we recommend ocean sounds? They are soothing for all involved. The heart beat sound is sweet but a tad creepy. And the whale sounds are confusing. Is it a sheep or a whale? (Answer: Both!) $29.99, target.com
2. Aden + Anais SwaddlersSometimes (most times…) newborns need to be restrained. If you try to just lay them down flat, they flail their arms, scratch their faces, and startle themselves awake like baby monkeys. Wrapping them up in a tight little burrito bundle actually helps them stay calm. These extra large, gauzy wraps from aden + anais are definitely the easiest to use (and they double as stroller covers/picnic blankets later on). $31.49, target.com
3. Swaddler upgradesEventually your wee lad or lass will turn into a Hulk baby and start busting out of your 4 a.m. blanket swaddle. You will counter with Velcro. Summer Infant SwaddleMe Adjustable Infant Wrap, $29.99, buybuybaby.com
4. Black & WhiteNewborns can only see about eight inches in front of their faces, and they can’t see colors. This is why they love anything that shows sharp contrast. And this is why the freestanding Black & White board book is a perfect first toy. Enjoy approximately 30 seconds of blissful silence as your baby fixates on the silhouette of a banana. Then get mildly uncomfortable at the Freudian implications of said banana and switch to the balloon picture. $7.19, target.com
5. Gas dropsWhen babies get gas, they scream about it. Like really loudly. That is, until they learn to hide their shame like well-adjusted adults. Since that’s a few years away, you’ll find yourself busting out the gas drops at the first sign of trouble. Be advised: You’ll also find yourself getting emotionally attached to the curative power of gas drops (as in: “I-can’t-believe-you-didn’t-pack-the-gas-drops-I-thought-you-loved-me").
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive