Forget the orchid and the basket of massage stones. And you don’t have to remodel, either. These really easy steps will have you relaxing in your own spa retreat by the end of a weekend.
1. Introduce your color.If Cool Mist and Seafoam Green are not your colors, don’t use them! As Winifred Gallagher explains in her book House Thinking, colors and objects can be relaxing or energizing because of the personal memories they invoke, regardless of what the scientists and designers tell us about them. If you are soothed by bright pink, your spa should be bright pink.
2. Add sound.If you haven’t checked out portable speakers in a while, you’re in for a treat. Starting with the new Bose SoundLink Wireless Mobile speaker at the high end, there’s a huge assortment of speakers at many price points designed to work with iPhones and MP3 players. The ones that stream music wirelessly are the best bets for the bathroom. Refer to No. 1 for music/sound choices: There’s no rule that says you can only be relaxed by the pan-flute or ocean waves.
3. Let there be light, part 1: Candles, please!The sense of smell is the one most closely associated with memory, so finding the perfect scented candle can instantly get you into a Zen. But, then I’m jolted right out of it by the smell of the smoking wick when the candle is blown out. Hunt around for a realistic-looking flameless candle (some are much better than others), and pop it in an enchanting votive. My very favorite: the glassybaby. Each glassybaby is handmade with the combined talents of four artists, so each one is unique. Check out the huge assortment of colors at glassybaby.com. Click on “bouquet” to design your own custom combination.
4. Let there be light: Pt. 2: Install a dimmer switch.For those times when candlelight is impractical but makeup/shaving lighting is way too harsh (okay, unforgiving), you can find a peaceful medium by installing a simple dimmer switch.
5. De-clutter.You already know this, but it’s good to have a reminder. Too much stuff can be really stressful, even if you think it’s not bothering you.
6. Splurge on one luxury.Plush white towels, aromatic mineral baths, fresh flowers…if we had it all, we’d be at The Ritz-Carleton. Pick one special luxury and give yourself permission to indulge!Photo courtesy of glassybaby. The company was founded by a three-time cancer survivor who found great hope and healing in the light of a lit, handmade votive. glassybaby has donated more than $850,000 from sales to charities dedicated to healing and helping cancer patients with day-to-day needs during chemotherapy.
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive