The last Cincinnati Bengals playoff win has taken on a surreal, where-were-you-when aura. Each time the franchise so much as sniffs a postseason berth, the drought gets brought up.
January 6, 1991 stands both as a high point for the franchise and a constant reminder of just how damn long ago it was when this organization won in the playoffs.
How long, exactly? Since the last time the Bengals won a playoff game…
- The metro population of Cincinnati has fallen by more than 500,000.
- Xavier picked up 18 of the 21 NCAA Tournament wins in school history.
- The Reds … bad example, let’s move on.
- The U.S. Federal Debt grew by more than $12 trillion.
- The world witnessed both the mercurial rise and fall of 98 Degrees. (We love you, Nick.)
- The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 17 postseason games and appeared in four Super Bowls.
- The Somali Civil War began its Bengals-esque streak of futility.
- The Watts riots, the Cincinnati riots, all kinds of riots.
- Robert Griffin III celebrated his first birthday. (Catered by Subway, I'm sure.)
- Sonic the Hedgehog was released on Sega Genesis.
- Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested.
- The spread of cell phones, computers, instant messaging…I’m telling you, it was a long time ago.
- The UC Bearcats made their first NCAA Tournament appearance of the Bob Huggins era.
- Friends made its debut.
- Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to the franchise’s first NBA title. (And a few more after that…)
- The Soviet Union dissolved. (Eat it, Stalin.)
- Gas prices rose by more than $2.50.
- Ken Griffeys Sr. and Jr. both retired from Major League Baseball.
So basically, what I’m saying is, the Bengals are due. That Sonic thing blew my mind.
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2013. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive