Cincinnati Magazine is the “must read” for sophisticated consumers in Greater Cincinnati and a “must buy” for advertisers who want to reach this defined market. Each month, editorial content takes subscribers deep behind the headlines into the stories that impact our area. We profile the region’s most interesting and influential people; offer regular sections such as Dine, Radar (style & design) and Frontlines (local news & newsmakers); and create service packages on topics ranging from neighborhoods and restaurants to shopping and schools. We also produce more books within the brand, making us the ultimate guide to Cincinnati (Baby Guide, Wedding Magazine, etc.) We also serve as a leader in the local publishing industry, serving a multitude of clients and producing a variety of books, programs, and magazines for local businesses.
The Associate Art Director is responsible for producing pages of the monthly and custom publications—concepting and sourcing quality art within appropriate branding styles, flowing text, designing features and seeing pages through to completion.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Design Director to develop style and aesthetic approach to graphic storytelling
- Design and create art within various branding styles
- Working with editorial and custom publications, flowing in text, routing to editors efficiently, and getting approval from clients
- Concept comprehensive creative briefs and commission original artwork from illustrators and photographers where needed as well as source stock art and pick-up art
- Color correct and prepare artwork for publication
- Meet with front-of book editors on their stories and brainstorm ideas
- Negotiate fees, manage contracts, track photo credit and payment information for all of your pages
- Working well in a team with other art directors, photographers, illustrators, editors, and marketing representatives
- Using a wide range of media, including photography and computer-aided design
- Other duties, as assigned
- Highly proficient with InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. And not just knowing how to use each, but when to use each. As well as a working knowledge of current printing, digital, and production technologies
- Experience with template design and work flow
- A positive attitude and flexibility
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and still meet necessary deadlines
- Self-motivated, independent worker capable of executing project guidelines without continuous oversight
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- An impressive portfolio that shows off your amazing design skills
- Thrives in a team atmosphere and enjoys collaborating
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, communication design or visual arts, or equivalent experience
- Strong attention to detail
College degree in Graphic Design or comparable.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position we encourage you to apply. The preferred method to apply is to submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio or portfolio link to the Design Director, Brittany Dexter. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.