Selecting sweets for your suitor on Valentine's Day is not for the faint of heart. Our list will help you beguile your beau (or beaux) one bite at a time. No sugarcoating here.
1. Chocolats Latour Sweet Lips (creamy amaretto-caramel-filled chocolate) and Flaming Hearts (habanero-infused dark chocolate) pack a sexy sizzle, but the lavender-champagne truffles prove you’re in it for the long haul. Various local retailers, chocolatslatour.com, (513) 591-0085
2. Auel’s Fine ChocolatesGrocery store Oreos may be fine for an everyday fix. But for Valentine’s Day, stop by Auel’s and pick up a few covered in milk, white, or dark chocolate, elevating a staple to a star. 204 Main St., Milford, (513) 607-6013, auelsfinechocolates.com
3. The Candy BarLet’s cut to the chase: a trip here guarantees you’ll at least go home with a Sugar Daddy. 422 W. Sixth St., Covington, (859) 261-3367, thecandybar-ky.com
4. Esther Price CandiesLast minute dinner with the in-laws? Hot girl next door suddenly became available? Even with short notice, a customized assortment of chocolates should do the trick, including chocolate-covered cherries, fudge creams, and dark-chocolate pecan toppers. Carpe candy! Multiple locations, estherprice.com
5. Frieda’s DessertsThe next best thing to a Valentine’s date in Place Vendome? Authentic French macarons from Frieda’s, combining crunchy and creamy in flavors ranging from strawberry to dark chocolate to red velvet. 6927 Miami Ave., Madeira, (513) 272-0939, friedasdesserts.com
6. Abby Girl Sweets The husband-and-wife duo at Abby Girl take cupcake creation seriously. While flavors tend to change weekly, don’t be afraid to play it safe with a red velvet cupcake topped with fluffy cream-cheese frosting. 41 W. Fifth St., downtown; 4773 Glendale-Milford Rd., Blue Ash, (513) 335-0898, abbygirlsweets.com
7. Peter Minges and Son Confectionery Valentine’s Day here already? Better swing by Peter Minges and Son to pick up some candy conversation hearts—in bulk. “Be Mine?” You’re taken? Wait, I can find a friend one…138 W. Court St., downtown, (513) 241-7376
8. Aglamesis Brothers Earn some cupid-sanctioned kudos by bringing home the handmade assortment of milk or dark chocolates. If you’re particularly smitten—or desperate to get out of the doghouse—go for the dark chocolate opera creams or the cherry cordials. 3046 Madison Road, Oakley, (513) 531-5196, aglamesis.com
9. Jenco Brothers’ CandyFebruary 14 isn’t just for the ladies. If you’re searching for a sweet treat for your stud, grab the chocolate-covered bacon from Jenco Brothers in either dark, or milk chocolate, or peanut butter and chocolate. V-Day has never felt more macho. 224 W. McMillan St., Clifton, (513) 417-8956, jencobrotherscandy.com
10. Haute ChocolateThis heart-shaped, double-chocolate-fudge brownie topped with plenty of signature crème-fudge frosting can be finished with chocolate chips, walnuts, or both. Be still, my double-fudge beating heart. 9424 Shelly Lane, Montgomery, (513) 793-9999, hautechocolatecincinnati.com
Simply confirm your registered email address below and click "Reset Password." We will immediately email you a link back to the site where you can enter a new password for this account.
We've found your existing Cincinnati Magazine Insiders account. Please login below to complete the Facebook login process.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved.
In partnership with Marketron Interactive